New online scripophily articles and references, March 2013
Vintage Railroad Stocks and Bonds
Early February, Pete Angelos launched Vintage Railroad Stocks and Bonds, a new scripophily blog for US railroad enthousiasts. I'll quote the author : Hopefully this blog will get comments from veteran collectors and may spark some future collectors to take up this great hobby.
My radio is tuned, Pete !
The Manual of Statistics Stock Exchange Hand-book
At the end of the 19th century, Charles M. Goodsell and Henry E. Wallace wrote a series of stock exchange year books. Each one of these volumes contained thousands of entries to company profiles and their securities, government securities, economical and stock exchange statistics, and maps of railway systems. Topics covered : railroads, street railways, miscellaneous and industrial companies, grain and produce, cotton, petroleum, mining, banks, trust and insurance companies. Sales price of a book : five dollars in 1915.
Nine of these year books have been digitized by Google from the library of the University of Michigan and uploaded to the Internet Archive. You can find the links to these volumes here :
On each one of the pages mentioned above, on the left, you'll find a link 'Read Online' to the online version. The 'All Files: HTTPS' link, brings you to a web directory that includes a link to a downloadable PDF file. But be prepared : some of these files are almost 100 MB large.
Scripophily MagazineIn addition to the online sources above, the latest Dec 2012 No.90 issue of Scripophily magazine, published by the International Bond and Share Society , contains the following stories :
- Save them! Save them! Stock certificates under assault worldwide
- Avant Garde 1930s decorator trend discovered (stock certificates as wall paper)
- Cox's Corner #15 : Loving the hobby
- Specophily celebrates five year anniversary (about speculation in old paper)
- My fair ladies : help wanted! (Are ladies portraited in stock engravings famous personalities?)
- History of Congo railways
- Scripophily in the Netherlands
- other periodical topics : News, Bourse Reviews, Book Reviews, Auction Reviews, Events calendar, Member Classifieds
Signed the Guest book yet ?