New online scripophily articles and references, November 2012
Bibliographies of scripophily
It is just amazing how much literature has been published for scripophily enthusiasts. Too much too keep track off, but not for Hans-Georg Glasemann from Germany. Glasemann compiled two lists of publications related to the field of collecting antique share and bond certificates :
- German bibliography of scripophily, in German, see here
- Foreign-language bibliography of scripophily, in other words publications in other languages, see there .
I made a rough estimation, we are talking about an impressive 500 entries in both lists. "Georg" is continuously updating the lists. He will be very happy if you send him additional suggestions, additions or bug fixes. You can reach him at email@example.com .
Glasemann, an expert in scripophily research, is regularly seen as author of articles in scripophily magazines and known as book author as well. All of this can be discovered on his website www.nonvaleurs.de . Tip: check out his article on the Suez Canal securities.
SCOB lists Bruxelles stock exchange companies
The Research Center for Corporations and Stock Exchange, in Dutch: Studiecentrum voor Onderneming en Beurs (SCOB), is a research centre at the University of Antwerp. The main goal of SCOB is to study the financial data and history of the Belgian stock exchanges and the companies listed on these. Read more about SCOB's activities and projects here.
Interesting for us, SCOB maintains a list with all corporations ever quoted at the Brussels stock Exchange. The list can be downloaded here as an Excel file.
The Rothschild Archive
I'm sure some of you already know about the Rothschild Archive. It was ".. established in 1978 to preserve and arrange the record of the Rothschild family that is widely recognised for the major contribution it has made to the economic, political and social history of many countries throughout the world. The research centre is based in London, and a web site has been developed to make the contents of the archive more readily available to remote users and researchers. .."
And there is a lot to find on the web site. A few examples :
- an article, titled Egyptian finances in the nineteenth centure: a Rothschild perspective, containing a few pictures of old bond certificates, see here
- a list of hundreds of loans for sovereign governments issued by the London Rothschild House, see here
- a presentation on the Rothschild name and the association with wine, see there .
|double-click image to enlarge|
In addition to the articles above, the latest October 2012 No.5/12 issue of der aktiensammler magazine, contains the following stories (in German) :
- Die Weimar-Rastenberger Eisenbahn kam nie so richtig in Fahrt, about the Weimar-Rastenberg railway company
- Bietfieber: Warum wir bei Auktionen manchmal mehr bieten, als wir sollten, in English : Bid fever: why we often bid more than we should in auctions
- Lintorfer Erzbergwerke : Explorations-Story aus dem Niederbergischen Land, a story on the mining history in the Lintorf area near Ratingen, Germany
- Der 20. Juni 1948 - der Tag an dem der Hamster verschwand, freely translated: The Currency Reform of 1948 and the introduction of the Deutsche Mark (part 11 in a series on the evolution of money)
- Warum die Schmidheinys keine Banker waren (Teil 1), about the Schmidheiny industrial entrepreneurs family and the Holderbank cement business
- Besserungsscheine : Lieber Sammeln als auf Nachschlag hoffen, in English : Besserungsscheine, bonds, issued after WWII in West Germany
- The Coca-Cola Company : Start als Einprodukt-Anbieter
- Von der Billigmarke zum Premium-Produkt: Pepsi-Cola
- Bergmann-Elektricitäts-Werke AG : In der Elektroindustrie gab Berlin den Ton an
- other periodical topics : Auction Reviews, Collector's Portrait, Events Calendar, Classifieds